Today, I’m posting a deep fried sweet potato fries recipe. As I wrote my baked sweet potato fries post the other day, I tried as hard as I could to find a fried version to link to. (Though you’ll find my sweet potato chips right here.) Sure there were some out there, but it took some real digging to find one. There are billions of baked fries recipes, but the actual fried versions are getting harder to find.
So, I thought I’d post my own deep fried sweet potato fries recipe here. Why not? Sure, we all want to be healthier, but sometimes we really want something crispy, something fried in real oil. There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself to an old favorite every once in a while.
This recipe fries up quick and easy — the longest part of making this dish is cutting the fries. As always, be careful with the oil! I don’t need to tell you that scalding oil is volatile and doesn’t play well with wet sweet potatoes, so please, dry your fries before dropping them into the fryer!
Deep Fried Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Yield: serves 2
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 cups ice water>
- Oil for the fryer (I prefer rice bran oil for its taste and health properties)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1. Place sweet potato fries in ice water for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat deep fryer, bringing the oil to 350°F.
3. Remove sweet potato fries from water and pat dry completely with paper towels. Slowly lower fries into hot oil and allow to fry for 5 minutes, or until the fries are golden-brown.
4. Remove from oil and allow to drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle with chopped herbs, salt and pepper, tossing together well. Sprinkle sparingly with cayenne and toss again. These fries go great served with a simple homemade ketchup or other sauce of your choice.
If you like this deep fried sweet potato fries recipe, check out these other recipes: