Storing celery for peak freshness is something that most folks don’t think about until that moment when they go to grab a few stalks from the refrigerator to spread with fresh peanut butter. Once they peer into their crisper and find a wimpy, flacid lump where their crisp celery stalks should be, they think, “Drat! Why does this always happen?”
No one likes wimpy vegetables. Ew. I mean, who wants to eat celery that’s about as crispy as an old shoelace? Not I, said the Little Red Hen. Eating celery raw, when it’s crunchy and firm, is my favorite way to enjoy this light veggie, so learning how to store celery so that it retains its crunch was of the utmost importance around here!
If you don’t know how, storing celery is very easy. You don’t need pricey bio-bags involved, and you won’t have to to buy any weird humidifying devices for your refrigerator. In fact you only need three things — one of which, incidentally, is celery itself.
Storing Celery for Freshness
Storing celery so that it stays crisp is very easy. You only need a few things:
- 1 bunch of celery
- A large glass bowl or sealed plastic container
- Remove celery stalks from the base, remove the leaves, and cut them in half so they are half as long.
- Arrange the celery in the receptacle so that there is at least 1-inch of headroom between the top of the celery and the rim of the bowl.
- Fill the bowl with clean (ideally filtered) water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or its sealable lid and place in the refrigerator.
- Change out water once a day, or at least every other day, for optimal freshness. Celery will keep fresh and amazingly crunchy for up to a week this way.
- You can keep any root vegetable fresh and crispy this way — try it with parsnips, beets, etc.
What’s your favorite method of storing celery or other vegetables?
What can you do with celery and you’ve kept it crisp? Check out these recipes:
- Want to learn how to store carrots, too?
- Bison, Broccoli & Celery Root Stir-Fry
- Recipe for Green Apple, Celery, and Walnut Salad with Lemon-Mustard Vinaigrette
- Five Celery Soup Recipes
- GF Condensed Cream of Celery Soup