- Looking for a cool kiss of sweet tea on a hot day? -
There’s a new tea in town, an exciting little hybrid that is brightening up my afternoons in the kitchen lately: Tetley’s Black and Green. Combining the best of both black and green teas, I’m loving it in both hot and cold drinks – but given the temperatures lately, I’m leaning towards any beverage with the word “iced” in it.
Anyone who’s ever sat down to enjoy an iced tea on a hot day knows exactly how refreshing this classic drink is. The same goes for a hot cup of chai, which, it just so happens, finds a new lease on life when poured over ice with a little milk to float the spicy, ethereal flavors across your palate.
So then, why not combine the two? Thanks, don’t mind if I do.
I’m a huge chai fan. There’s something about combining the playful flavors of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves that excites me, and on a hot day, an iced chai tea latte is just about the best thing ever. I’ve had many a cranky, sweaty afternoon saved by a few chilly sips. It’s like someone drop-shipped an air conditioner right into the middle of my heart.
This lovely summer chai iced tea is kissed with honey and mellow spice. It’s the perfect pick-me-up for those days when the heat feels oppressive and you just can’t seem to muster the energy to carry through the afternoon. Tetley’s Black and Green Tea is a fabulous addition to the mix, bringing to the party both the swagger of black tea and the healthy zen-power of green tea. You can easily make this dish to suit any diet, changing out the half & half for coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, or any combination thereof. I’ve opted for honey here, to make it more natural, but you can certainly add a equal amount of sugar instead. A dollop of coconut cream floating across the top takes it over the top.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 vanilla bean, sliced open lengthwise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2-inch knob of fresh ginger, chopped coarsely
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 black peppercorns, cracked
- Pinch of cumin seeds
- 4 Tetley Black and Green tea bags
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pinch of salt
- Half & half
- Bring water to boil over medium heat. Add vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, ginger, star anise, cardamom pod, cloves, peppercorns, and cumin seeds. Boil spices for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and strain out spices.
- Return pot to low heat. Add tea bags and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, removing tea bags before the tea turns bitter. Add honey and a pinch of salt, stirring to make sure honey is entirely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Fill four glasses with ice, then add tea so that the glasses are 3/4 full. Top off remainder of glass with half and half. Stir gently, and enjoy.