The other night, my good friend Laura had a birthday party for a small group of family and friends. Her mom brought with her an incredible almond flour chocolate cake that had most of us bowing to her as the flour-free pastry goddess (don’t worry, I’m working on getting the recipe for you all!). While we gorged ourselves on luscious chocolatey goodness, the second dish she brought sat by the wayside, lonely and tucked away in a far corner of the table.
After everyone had left, I began sifting through all of the leftover food. My eyes brushed across a little plate full of soft, tender-looking brown peaks.
“What are these?” I asked Laura.
“Oh, those are my mom’s meringues,” she replied while piling dishes into the sink. “They’re really good. Try one.”
Fast forward to five minutes later, when I realized that I’d nearly cleared off the plate. “Hey!” Exclaimed Laura. “You ate them ALL? Those were for my birthday!”
Chagrinned, I apologized, then quickly asked her to call her mom for the recipe.
This baked meringue drops recipe produces little golden puffs of egg white goodness that are tender and moist, unlike their crunchy cousins, the standard baked meringue cookie. Gently sweet and light as air, one could easily destroy a plate of them in no time flat. They’re a perfect snack when you want something sweet but don’t really want to commit to a whole dessert; you can beat the whites in a matter of minutes, then pop them into the oven to brown. That’s it. And with no processed sugar, they’re about as healthy a sweet treat as you will ever find.
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add agave and vanilla, and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Using a tablespoon or spatula, drop large spoonfuls of meringue on the parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch between them. You don’t want the meringues to flatten out – rather, you want them to be taller, like little mountains.
- Bake meringues until the tips turn a deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet before serving.
If you like this Easy Baked Meringue Drop Recipe, check out these other meringue recipes: