A few months ago I picked up Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker from the bookstore, and I’ve been having a great time tossing a bunch of stuff into my crock pot in the morning (or night before) and having an amazing hot dinner waiting for me when I get home at the end of the day. I can’t even tell you how awesome it is to not have to make dinner after a long day, and coming home to the smell of a homecooked meal is one of the most gratifying feelings I can think of.
But, I digress. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker has many awesome recipes, and my favorite thus far is the Arroz non Pollo dish, which is basically a vegetarian rice dish. It’s warm and hearty – great comfort food. Serve it up in a bowl with some organic corn chips and you’ve got a little piece of heaven.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ pound small button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads or turmeric
- 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices (I just used four large, fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, greshly ground if possible, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice or white rice, cooked
- ¾ cup salsa, of your choice
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ⅓ cup sliced pimento stuffed olives, drained
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until gently browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes, or until they begin to brown.
- Add carrots, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, cumin, and saffron or turmeric and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to a lightly oiled 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, bell pepper, green beans, and chickpeas; season with salt and pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the salsa, peas, olives, and cooked rice and cover.
Buy the book!